Friday, March 03, 2006

Behavior > 1st episode: Stop Smoking

Every time I go to Tunisia in the summer, I get hit with a thick cloud of smoke right from the exit door of the airplane. You would think that with jet-fuel still burning in reservoirs, people would be smart and turn off their lighters or burry their cigarette, hell no!!!

By the time you clear customs and exit the passenger area, your lungs are filled with poison, combined with heat and smog from the outside; your chances to an asthma attack grow like never before.

In North-America, entire cities are going smoke-free, and sooner, selected cities in Canada will ban open-air smoking all together unless smokers sit within a certain distance from non smokers. This is truly CIVILIZATION!!!

I don’t mind living, working and dealing with smokers, as long as they go KABOUM themselves ONLY without taking down with them second hand smokers or a generation of kids.

Smokers, why don’t you get it? Studies after studies have shown that lung cancer is a direct consequence of heavy, light and second hand smoking. Why do you keep polluting the air around? Give me one damn benefit of smoking, and I’ll turn smoker next day.

Why do people have to die, and bankrupt their public health system and their families because of some stupid trend? I can understand old generation smokers, they didn’t have a clue about death rates / side effects related to smoking, besides, during the 40-50s smoking was considered trendy, hot and cool. But nowadays? What’s hot about it? Why youngsters and young adults still do it despite all the awareness, the knowledge and all the talk around it?

Going back to Tunisia, I think it’s time to start banning (and enforcing) smoking in public and covered areas, yet I’m not sure if that will ever happen since most of the future generation, for instance future lawmakers, are smokers themselves :-(

Last year, I went to this ‘soit-disant’ hot café somewhere in El Manar neighborhood. I can not even remember the name of the café, coz they were like 100s of them, one next to the other, serving the same thing, and featuring the same clientele. Aside from the stereotypes that I was quick to develop by looking at the crowds, I was appalled by the number of smokers, ALL of them were smokers, i swear ALL of them.

I’ve been labeled few times as intolerant because of my stance on cigarettes. To those, I say please understand (so tempted to say 'go to hell') that my health and the health of my family comes before your high-society branded and gestured cigarette.

Smokers, please think about it again!!! If not for yourself, think out of respect of those surrounding you, if you don’t have respect for the others, then you’re probably a liability to society and should not be dealt with.

Worth mentioning however that some smokers did catch up with some good manners lately and now they do ask for permission prior to igniting that piece of crap, so there is hope !!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't smoke but I very much like the smell of freshly smoked cigarettes :)

But yes, I agree with you that smoking should be (enfoceably) banned from public areas.

This is off-topic but I also like the smell of petrol, glue, new books, and marker pens! Bring me all of these in one box and you're my friend forever! :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger SNAWSI said...

A law has been passed in Tunisia banning smoking in public areas ( enforced with a fine of 25 Dinars): loi n°98-17 du 23 février 1998, relative à la prévention des méfaits du tabagisme et le protection des non fumeurs, JORT n°94, novembre 1998 : pages 2303-2304.

People do respect it in places like public transportations, hospitals and some public & private administrations..but in restaurants and cafés not yet :-(

3:29 AM  
Blogger Napo said...

@tarek, petrol? LORY and KAN't, British words or (accent). I Remeber some time ago, a british expat was teaching AI in school here and he pronounced the sentence 'I drove my LORY hard' students understood he was having wild sex with his wife 'lori' :)

all of what you mentioned have in common methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) which is hazardeous and carcinogen
so don't inhale too much :-))))

@snawsi, your 'lawyer' instinct is always up to date eh? would you consider an door office in a admin or hospital truly public? i don't think so...based on what've seen in the past, unless things have changed since then.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about the "culture clash" napo! :))

This is, you know, old Europe :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Zizou From Djerba said...

forza napo ! forza !!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Its an innovative technology being adopted by the smokers worldwide, which doesn't have any bad effects associated with it like that with a regular tobacco smoking. it decreases the craving in your body and lets you leave traditional smoking in a very less time...To get the facts straight and read reviews and article , packages that no one can beat, here is your chance to get astonished,,,,

e cig

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home